- 2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1 tbs. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup black beluga lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp. plus 1 tbs. sea salt, divided
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ lb. beets, scrubbed and chopped
- 2 large stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large Golden Delicious apple, cored and diced
- 2 oz. crumbled soft goat cheese
- ⅓ cup finely diced red onion
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the olive oil and heat until shimmering, then add the shallot and cook until translucent, about three to four minutes. Add the thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add the lentils and 1 teaspoon of the salt and stir to combine. Add the broth and bring to a steady simmer. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Strain off excess broth if necessary.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water with the remaining 1 tablespoon of salt to a boil. Add the beets and boil for 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Strain and toss in a large bowl with the cooked lentils.
- Add the celery, apple, cheese, onion, and black pepper, and toss gently to combine. Enjoy warm, or refrigerate to chill completely before serving.